Monday, January 5, 2009

Rundown of 2008 New Yorker fiction

Max Magee at The Millions blog has a phenomenal post summarizing all of the short stories that appeared in The New Yorker in 2008, finding "suburban malaise" a common theme among many of them. Each blurb has a brief synopsis and links to the author's recent work.

My favorite stories of that bunch that I've read so far -- I am perpetually behind on New Yorkers and still have a good dozen 2008 issues left to read -- are "Raj, Bohemian," by Hari Kunzru, an inventive, paranoid little nugget; "The Dinner Party," by Joshua Ferris, a darkly funny riff on boring dinner parties; and "Clara," by Roberto BolaƱo, about love and distance.

I would welcome suggestions on how to work in more New Yorker and book-reading time, but I already know. Less TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment